Monday, December 23, 2013

Sick.....

It started yesterday, small cough. Today I find myself congested and still coughing. I had planned to write up a little something something on the world of NFL sports yesterday, but I was really busy yesterday so I'm going to write it now.





I am an NFL football fan, I do watch college football sometimes, especially if my team (Mizzou) is playing. NFL wise, I am a Rams fan first, and a Packers fan second. Yeah, I know. The season for the Packers was going fine until back in November when Rodgers injured his collarbone thanks to a sack from the Bears. Rams, having yet another mediocre season, and not having a shot at playoffs, are still going to try to put dents in the records of other teams. They successfully did that to the Saints (much to my surprise), and I'd like to see them pull an Arizona Cardinals upset by defeating the Seattle Seahawks at home on December 29th.


Now, I live in Tacoma, Washington. I deal with and run into Seahawks fans on nearly a daily basis. Before I moved up here, I didn't care about the Seahawks. I was indifferent. I actually disliked the Chiefs. Having lived up here nearly three years now, I no longer dislike the Chiefs, I don't even dislike the Seahawks. I HATE the Seahawks with such a fiery and burning passion. The majority of fans are egotistical dicks who don't seem to know the first thing about football. Every time something goes wrong, they automatically want to yell "WHERE'S THE FLAG?!" at the TV, and not to say a flag didn't need to be thrown, but it certainly doesn't need to be EVERY SINGLE TIME something goes wrong. They don't want to admit to the fact that their players fuck up. They argue with hold calls or facemask penalties when the replays show them blatantly happening. Whenever they lose, they blame it on bad officiating, and still have yet to get over the Super Bowl, where they were defeated (and not on bad officiating) by the Steelers.

But they are more than happy to take botched calls that are thrown in their favor (the Fail Mary game-winning Interception against the Packers last year is a prime example). I was in the bar as they screamed "we'll take it! A win's a win!" but they sourly cried foul yesterday over a botched call in the Arizona game, even though both defenses played great. Seahawks had plenty of opportunities, with four interceptions, and did NOTHING with them. But I suppose in their eyes, that's just bad officiating too.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are a couple of Seahawks fans I talk to, play pool with, am friends with, and they are not part of the majority. They are reasonable and knowledgeable about the game who will admit that the Seahawks make mistakes. Then there are a couple that I am friends with and we trash talk each other. And the trash talking will continue after the Seahawks/Rams game. I was told by a stranger when I first moved up here that I was brave for wearing a Rams shirt in public. I had to laugh, not only that the Rams haven't been much of a threat, and certainly weren't three years ago that someone would get offended at seeing my shirt.

But let's talk realism here, as in chances of playoffs, as well as making it to Super Bowl and potentially even winning.


Seahawks will go to playoffs obviously. It's a given. They have a decent record and have had an easy schedule this year. However, look at yesterday's game against Arizona and you begin to realize that at this late in the game, do NOT underestimate anyone, whether it's Arizona, who have the opportunity to make it to playoffs, or whether it's the Rams, who have no shot at playoffs whatsoever. Getting cocky is what leads to your downfall, as you underestimate teams who at this point, don't have much to lose. The Rams took the Saints down a notch two weeks ago, but wound up in a close match against Tampa Bay yesterday. Undoubtedly every team at this point is ready to battle a team like the Seahawks, especially at home.

In playoffs, things get tougher, especially if Seattle doesn't have home advantage. If they do, it could be troublesome for other playoff teams, but "any given Sunday" should always be taken into account.

Super Bowl? I don't think the Seahawks have a chance at winning. We are talking MetLife Stadium, which isn't domed, in early February. Now, the Seahawks did play there recently, but they played the Giants, who are also out of playoffs. So the whole "we won there already" doesn't apply. It's not only WHERE you play, it's WHO you play. At that time, the Seahawks could be playing a potentially deadly team like the Broncos, a tough team like the Patriots, or an unpredictable team like the Chiefs. Super Bowl won't be easy, given the conditions, the lack of noise advantage (something they boast about, but it really doesn't mean anything until a Super Bowl is hosted in Seattle), and the team. Even if they go, I'm fairly certain they will still lose, and go home yet again without a Lombardi trophy. But, I only say fairly certain because of any given Sunday. You never know what can happen. From boob exposure to power outages.

Anywho, that's my small little rant regarding that team. I look forward to seeing the final games of the regular season this weekend. Should be interesting if this season has been any indicator.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics